Saturday, April 17, 2010

New Homeschool Curriculum

Early in 2010, I changed Hannah's curriculum and homeschool process. The curriculum is Switched on Schoolhouse from Alpha Omega Publications. The process is through a new Gateway Touchscreen Computer.


Because of Hannah's birth date, she would be finishing 2nd grade in public school, but she started 3rd grade a few months ago with the new computer and curriculum. The subjects in the program include: language arts, math, science, history/geography, Bible. 


While math remains her least favorite subject, she is making progress in that as well. In the other subjects, she is learning and comprehending and blossoming at an astounding rate. It amazes me as she explains farming processes or draws a map of Mexico - complete with legend and symbols for roads, mountains, rivers, and so forth. 


My daughter still has a severe mixed expressive/receptive language disorder - which is most apparent in the art of conversation - but her development and abilities are simply wondrous for me as I think about where she was 2 years or even 1 year ago. 


All is well.


OneMom

4 comments:

Ryan Egan said...

Hi there!

I just wanted to stop by and say congratulations for the good progress your daughter's having with her learning! We always love to hear success stories. Keep it up!

Holly said...

Hi- my daughter is exhibiting signs of mixed receptive language disorder, but we are waiting for a full assessment. I'm so glad I found your blog! I've been feeling a little overwhelmed- mydaughter is 3- about what to do. I hope you continue to update. Holly

OneMom said...

Hi Holly -

I try to update, but don't always post as often as I would like. Please stop by and feel free to ask questions and I'll share more about our experiences.

Blevins Kids said...

I'm happy I came found your blog, my daughter has an expressive and receptive language disorder and she is in Kinder.
I was thrilled to see your daughter doing so well!